International Medis Awards for Medical Research 2016
The International Medis Awards for Medical Research is an annual international contest for researchers and practitioners who have presented or published a clinical research work from a specific medical field in a highly ranked congress or a scientific publication.
With the annual contest for the International Medis Awards for Medical Research Medis seeks and rewards the best applied research achievements in selected areas of medicine and thus increases the distinguishability of the winners and their achievements in the profession and in general public. With these examples Medis enhances awareness and promotes the importance of research for the development of medical science in the region and contributes to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
- Criteria for participation
- Submission guidelines and deadline
- Selection process
- Winners and award
- Awards Ceremony
- Instructions for abstract and digital application submission
- Terms and conditions
» More information available via e-mail awards(at)medis.si.
Criteria for participation
The criteria described below are necessary for award entry.
1. Field of research work
Research fields for 2016 are: Allergology, Anesthesiology, Neurology, Ophthalmology, Pediatrics, Pharmacy, Pulmonology, Rheumatology, Urology.
The research fields can change through the years.
2. Research work should be published as
- Presentations – oral or poster - which have been accepted and presented at a European, American or World congress
- Medical research articles published in scientific publications with an impact factor greater than 1.5
All presentations and articles submitted must be included in the specific research field.
Contest is open to specialists from any of the eight countries where Medis operates: Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Hungary, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Slovenia.
4. Presentation or publish period
The research work must be accepted and presented or published between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016.
Submission guidelines and deadline
Applications have to be submitted in English a digital format via online application form.
An application consists of:
- A presentation or published article of their scientific research;
- Confirmation the material was accepted for presentation or publication (between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016);
- An abstract of the published or presented research findings not exceeding 2500 characters (not including spaces);
- CV of the participant (on relevant application form for Medis Awards);
- Consent of all the team members (if a collaboration).
More instructions for submission of the application in digital format and abstracts are available here.
Submission deadline is 15 September 2016.
Submitted abstracts and research work will be reviewed by an international panel of ten established and recognized doctors from all eight countries. The panel will announce finalists for each specific research field at least two weeks before the final ceremony, in November 2016.
Criteria for evaluation
- Presentation type of a research work (poster or oral presentation, published article)
- Order of authorship
- EU or World congress participation
- Impact factor
- Design and methodology of the study
- Evaluation and presentation of the results
- Clinical implication
- Level of contribution to the profession and/or clinical treatment
- Other international awards achieved for this research work
One winner will be selected from each research field.
Winners and Award
All finalists will be announced in November 2016 and the winners from each specific research field will be announced at the Awards Ceremony.
The Medis Award includes:
- the Medis Award Sculpture named Bodočnost (Future), made of bronze by the famous Croatian-Slovenian sculptor, Jakov Brdar;
- financial stimulus for further research work in the gross amount of € 2,500.
Posters of the winning research works will be on display during the Awards Ceremony.
The abstracts of all the submitted research works will be published in the Medis Awards Abstract Book.
The finalists of the International Medis Awards for Medical Research along with the members of the international panel will be invited to the Awards Ceremony, which will be held in Ljubljana at the end of November 2016. Expenses related to participation in the Award Ceremony will be covered by Medis (conditions may apply).
Instructions for abstract and digital application submission
Please carefully read all these instructions before submitting your application and before preparing your abstract.
- Abstracts can only be submitted via the online application form.
- Abstracts must be submitted in English (Word document, font: Arial 12, line spacing: 1.5). For standardization, the acceptable length of the abstract is not to be more than 2500 characters (no spaces).
- Abstracts sent by post or email will not be accepted. No exceptions will be made.
- Please ensure that your abstract does not contain spelling, grammatical or scientific errors. All abstracts must be submitted and presented in clear English with accurate grammar and spelling of a quality suitable for publication. No proofreading will be done.
- Only abstracts that contain original data can be submitted.
- Abstracts must contain data and meet international ethical standards.
- Abstracts should contain confirmation that they have or will have been presented at a European, American or World congress or in a scientific publication between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016.
Please note that all accepted abstracts will be published in the Medis Awards Abstract Book.
2. Medical research fields and content
You have to select one of nine defined research fields for the contest: Allergology, Anesthesiology, Neurology, Ophthalmology, Pediatrics, Pharmacy, Pulmonology, Rheumatology or Urology.
3. Sections of the abstract
The submitted abstract should be divided into following sections:
- Background and objectives
- Materials and methods
4. Guidelines for preparation of the Medis Awards Curriculum Vitae
A CV should be submitted using the Medis Awards CV application form. Download a CV application form and then submit (upload) it containing all relevant data via the online application form.
5. Consent of all co-authors
The consent of all co-authors must be obtained by the applicant and confirmed on the online application form. In the Medis Awards CV application form you should also include the names and institutions and agreements of all co-authors.
It is the intent of Medis to provide high-quality sessions focused on educational content that are free from commercial influence or bias. Thus, the author of an abstract is requested to declare any potential conflicts of interest for all authors during the abstract submission.
Terms and conditions of the contest
- I agree with the terms and conditions and I understand the contest’s rules.
- I agree to announcements in any publication where Medis chooses to publish information connected to the contest or Medis Awards Ceremony.
- Any photographs, interviews, video materials, etc. created for or by Medis can be used in print and/or digital form as Medis Awards materials or to promote the Medis Awards or other events in the future.
- If I win and receive a Medis Award, I agree any taxes or potential costs connected to receiving the award to be payed.
If you have successfully submitted your abstract, you will receive a confirmation number. If no confirmation number is received, the abstract cannot be considered to have been successfully submitted or accepted.